Thursday, December 9, 2010

Toon-ing In

As of recent: Mickey Mouse, Papa Smurf, and any number of Disney princess' have been the popular default picture on most facebook pages, I'm sure most of you know it was a campaign in efforts to raise awareness about 'ending violence against children'. I don't mean to climb onto my sunken and worn in soapbox but I've been struggling with this gesture. I'm in full support of ending violence against children, women, animals, and men for that matter. What I have been having a tough time processing is that everyone has sat back on their computer and with the click of a mouse 'contributed' something; I understand the purpose was to raise awareness, bad news: I don't think it's a big secret.

When I saw everyone changing their pictures it made me think of the NFL and breast cancer: instead of spending millions of dollars on new cleats, gear, and helmets with the pink emblem, more money painting the fields, and even more money stamping it anywhere they can think possible - donate the fucking money! I mean kudos for feeling like you've done something NFL, but realistically if every one of your players donated 1/10 of their salary let alone all the money you spend on breast cancer awareness month, we could find a cure for all cancers and maybe even save the world.

I appreciate the gesture for what it has to offer, and like anything on facebook: it caught on like rapid fire, I personally did not partake. I respect and appreciate a valiant effort towards a good cause, but instead of having people spend their time and energy looking for the perfect cartoon character to portray them; tap into those talents and use them for the very same cause, in a seperate way that could actually benefit ending violence against children.

But how much strength does it really take to come out against child abuse?  Does anyone support child abuse? Even the abusers themselves would probably say they don't. But actually making a difference in the fight, donating time or money, isn't nearly as easy as changing your profile photo. This doesn't go for just this particular cause, it goes for any and all that you care about.

Think about it, while being active - begin to be proactive.
Be well. Ever Evolve. And always do more than just exist.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%! Saturday at a dog show I will be at, we are wearing pink to support a lady who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and we're also doing a raffle and all the money raised goes to Susan G. Komen. It's not NFL player's salary but it's something.

    p.s. I miss your crazy antics and LOVE reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Change Your Mind. Change Your Life.