Thursday, December 9, 2010

Free Your Secrets & Become Who You Are

PostSecret is an ongoing community mail art project, created by Frank Warren, in which people mail their secrets anonymously on a homemade postcard. Select secrets are then posted on the PostSecret website, or used for PostSecret's books or museum exhibits. (postsecret.com)

Every Sunday morning is like a glimmer of Christmas for me. I do my best to obey my alarm, peel back the covers and motivate my body awake, while the very tips of my toes touch the ice cold wood floors my heater suddenly has a hard time sustaining to a decent temperature. Slowly moving about my box of an apartment I shuffle towards the start button on my computer, my hp starts to sound more like a kitten who's purr box is on repeat.

Sitting in front of the glowing screen I skip emails, facebook, and the sunday morning news to go straight to Postsecret. Every Sunday the secrets are updated to a specifically chosen batch that remain the face of Postsecret until the following Sunday, when the excitement of new secrets returns. I have followed PostSecret every sunday religiously for about 3 years now and highly encourage from you the same.         The secrets are meant to be empowering both to the author and to those who read it. The postcards are inspirational to those who read them, have healing powers for those who write them, give hope to people who identify with a stranger's secret, and create an anonymous community of acceptance.

Scrolling through the secrets I often times find myself shocked when I see a secret that I can relate too or have, I am saddened and feel for the secrets that speak of all dark things in life, and am overjoyed when I see ones of triumph and happiness. I like to think of secrets as being in a box, under a bed somewhere that only you can find; we are faced with choices everyday one of which is to take the secrets out of the box and set them free, and become who you're meant to be. The other, to keep that box hidden and tucked away where we know no one can ever find it.

I have mailed countless secrets over the years, some important and others meaningless and innocent. I remember the day vividly; it was snowing out, not that kind of light dusting commuters hope for; but that heavy snowfall that leaves the loud crunching sound between your boots and the snowbank as you cross over it on your journey to campus. I had just returned from the library, fingertips frozen and boots sopping wet; I peel off all layers known to North Face and head towards a warm sweater and my computer screen. Scrolling down, examining each secret closely, I get to the last three and sit in shock to see the very thing I had created almost a year ago. I sat in silence, my heart beating so fast I thought it might fall out of my chest. This particular secret was something I had been holding onto for over a decade of my life, something that has come to haunt me, and something that had become so comfortable as a crutch it was now just as hard to let it go than it had been to keep it. There it was, staring back at me, I began to cry and by cry I mean sob; I felt free for the first time in my life at the age of 20, I was finally free from this white elephant smothering me.

This all comes full circle, I promise - I'm doing a project for one of my classes that involves advertising a social media (um). All content of the project has to be ones own, including the idea and production; I chose post secret, since I can't use any of the secrets posted on their site I would love to utilize you as a tool. So whichever 3 people read my blog, all I'm asking is this: Do you have a secret you want to take out of your box today and set free? I promise the benefit outweighs the risk. It can be the most insignificant thing to something thats been weighing on you heavily - all you have to do is anonymously create a postcard, letter, drawing, etc put a stamp on it and mail it to me: 508 E 15th st Unit 2 Minneapolis MN. It's simple, no limitations, you're allowed to freely express yourself in any way you choose, and once I'm finished with the project (In about 2 weeks) I'll post it here for you to see.

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Free Your Secrets & Become Who You Are.




Be The Change You Wish To See In The World.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Change Your Mind. Change Your Life.