Thursday, December 16, 2010

Remember Spring Swaps Snow For Leaves

Watching out the window Friday night built up the anticipation rousing inside of me, the Christmas lights made the room smolder while elf played routinely in the background; I sat with a warm cup of tea mesmerized by the size of the flakes beginning to descend. Anyone in the tri state area had been hearing about this 'blizzard' headed our way, I was just craving the truth of that statement. See there are 3 things I love more than life itself during the month of December; Elf, Christmas, and Snow.

Every time I hear snow in the forecast my hopes are sadly let down by a dismal 1 1/2 inches, just enough for the city of Minneapolis to entitle a snow emergency and piss everyone off. This was no let down; there I was watching the snow fall, almost egging Mother Nature on to generate more than one snowy state could handle, she followed through with a vengeance.

When snow falls late at night, an hour where no one’s commuting or planning to do anything special, you can't help but get a little eager inside; studying each flake as it falls towards the ground, telling a fairy-tale while it wisps through the air unknowingly making its way towards a new domicile. While the flakes begin to fall, lightly at first, they start to swirl; not at first sight though, a vision only noticeable under the luminescent glow of a street lamp can you define the dance the ice crystals are beginning to perform in detail, slowly growing in size and multiplying in speed.

I smile inside while gripping my warm cup of tea; I take a sip, glance out into the tundra of the forming blizzard and smile to myself, because it’s at times like these when I feel most at home. I wake up early in the morning after a fresh snowfall and take a walk; I'm not sure if it’s the newly lain snow or the soft crunch beneath my boots, but either one that provokes the emotion from my very being and exudes happiness from my soul within has me feeling at this early hour, that I'm the only person awake and walking around this Earth.
& I've never felt so happy feeling so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change Your Mind. Change Your Life.